Sunday, March 23, 2014
I stand next to her cutting the potatoes into a pile of little sandy brown moons with the skin still on. She, my mother, washes the collard greens as we prepare dinner. Just a few minutes before I am hit and screamed at: "You disgust me at how to stupid you can be sometimes. Stupid ass!!" And now, a low rumble, a hum vibrates on my lips, "Oooh/oooh/oooh." I slice the potatoes slower, having the knife settle into the rhythm of the beginning of my song. "I found out what I been missing/ Always on the runn/uuunn." My mother, two feet next to me, begins turning her eyes from the window sill in our kitchen, from facing the aloe vera plant she takes thick leaves from to place on our scars and burns, to looking at my lips. "I've been looking for someone/uhhhh/Now you give good love to me baaaaaby!" I get into the first chorus of Whitney Houston's song and the tremble I began singing with leaves me. It is like "Good Love" is running up my leg and into my belly, through my fingers and into these little brown moon potatoes. Whitney Houston and Good Love has found me. "Be quiet!" My mother barks. But it is too late, "Good Love" is running through me. I go quiet on the outside but inside the song is still playing and I learn when you sing inside no one can stop the song from playing. No matter whether they are asking you to slice up potatoes or saying that you are "A stupid ass," if you keep the song inside of you it will play over and over. Thickening you with your own self. So when the only place or person you've known "good" or "love" from is you or Whitney Houston, you can keep the good love you've found a secret. Sometimes you need to keep the good love you give yourself a secret so you can feel good love at anytime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment